Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hyposensitivity vs. Hypersensitivity

A lot of things go unnoticed, or undiagnosed because they do not seem to fit a cookie cutter definition of someone with autism. What we do not hear much about is the hyposensitive side of sensory integration disorders. Just as much as one person with autism can repel touching (that's me) there is another that craves it (that's my son). I had always wondered why the disparity until I started researching the descriptions of sensory processing disorder (which seems like a cut and dry view of autism). Check this out:
Interestingly for me, I really thought everyone had the same issues-that it was normal. I think the more I research the more I learn and I encourage anyone to do the same, on the spectrum or not.

1 comment:

  1. Thats so true. My son has ASD, he seeks stimulation and exaggerates touch.

    ReplyDelete